Thursday, July 16, 2020

Prague

It was a long spring without travelling, and finally some borders opened again! My first destination was Prague, at midsummer for 4 days. The train from Bratislava took 4 hours and return ticket cost about 35 euros.

I was so happy in the train, finally had the feeling of going somewhere again! I even took a video from the train window weehee I am on a train :D. I was also nervous in a way, like this was my first trip anywhere, ever. Weird how this spring has changed our lives in so many ways.

I rented a one bedroom apartment from AirBnB, excellent location with walking distance to everywhere. The weather was not the best, I knew it wouldn't be, but luckily I got some sunshine too. I was just walking around, mostly in the old town, saw the Charles Bridge and The Prague Astronomical Clock. This is exactly the best time to visit the major destinations, since it is so peaceful and not crowded at all. That is why I am going to Athens now, since I hate crowds.

First some random pics around the city










Charles Bridge, going across the river Vltava. I was told that no matter when you go there, it is always full of people. But that was before the pandemic... Now it was very nice! The construction started already 1357 and it was finished about 50 years later. It has dozens of statues, that are not original, but replicas.




Charles IV next to the bridge, King of Bohemia, and Holy Roman Emperor


Didn't go in, but just had to take a pic, I saw several absinth shops around the city actually.


The square and the astronomical clock. The clock was first installed in 1410, making it the third-oldest astronomical clock in the world and the oldest clock still operating. Yep, that's Wikipedia again.











Had to take some pics from a train on my way back



Prague is absolutely a place to visit, if you haven't done that yet. There were no tourist busses operating yet, so I was walking on my own the whole time, which is also nice. I really want to visit Prague again, to get more out of it. I have been there before, but very shortly (one night only on my roadtrip). It did feel a lot like Slovakia, and the languages are close, but still I could hear it is not the same language. I didn't visit Prague Castle, so that is for my next visit :).

On Saturday I will fly to Athens! That will be the topic of my next post of course :). Then I will just explore areas nearby, maybe some weekend trips, and then in September hopefully visit Finland for my dad's 90th birthday. Right now the numbers in many countries have gone up again, same in Slovakia, but still the situation here is good. I hope we won't go back to more strict restrictions but it is what it is... I wish I could travel far far away in the winter but right now it is impossible to make any exact plans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment