Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Cliffs of Moher

Progress, it’s only been 10 days since my day trip to Cliffs of Moher! I told a friend I was going there, and his reply was “try to post the pics sooner than in a month this time”. :D

Cliffs of Moher… the number one tourist attraction in Ireland. At least that is what their brochure says, and because it is printed somewhere it has to be true. Seriously, I think this time it actually is true. I chose organised day tour from Paddywagon, but you can also take a regular bus there. The tour cost 25 € and you get a lot for your money. The bus departed at 9 from Arthur’s Quay in Limerick, or it was supposed to but it was 1h 15 mins late. The bus was totally full so it is a popular tour of course. The driver spoke almost non-stop, a funny guy named John, and gave a lot of information but also a bit too much of his own, sometimes even political, opinions.

Once again I noticed I really don't like people. When we were on our way to the cliffs and the guide was talking about the area and the history etc, almost everyone around me was sleeping. One even had headphones on and listened to her own music or something. Why on earth you pay for a guided tour when you don't want to hear the guide (or see the places on the way)? Beats me… We had 1,5 hours at the Cliffs, unfortunately the weather was typical Irish (cool, cloudy, rainy) but luckily it rained just a little bit. I walked around the cliffs and also checked the Visitor centre.

Here’s pics of the cliffs








We had a very clear time, 13.00, when to be back at the bus. Shouldn’t be too hard, right? Wrong! 52 people were waiting for 4 who just didn’t care to keep everyone waiting for them. And they just laughed when they got there, 15-20 mins late. The driver told them off, I would have just left at 13.03 or so… That is just so fucking rude!!! I can be selfish too, and I am, but not when it affects negatively on other people. Wankers.


Well, we had lunch at Doolin, I had lovely salmon, and because of those wankers (see above) we had a bit shorter time for that. Again, clear time when to get back. And who came in last, a couple of minutes late? The main wanker himself, who was the last to arrive at the cliffs too, just walking and minding his own business, having a cigarette. Me and the lady sitting next just couldn’t believe it. We also stopped at the mini cliffs, I think it was in Burren. At least the driver told us they are called mini cliffs. I have to say that those impressed more than the actual cliffs! I have seen cliffs before (Cabo da Roca, Australian coast) but I have never seen rocks like in mini cliffs. Unfortunately we stopped there only for about 15 mins, I really want to go hiking there!


Pics of Doolin (just one) and mini cliffs










The last stop was Bunratty Castle, it is quite close to Limerick. We didn’t have time to go in, just to take some pics outside. Have to visit that castle one day!

And the pics of the castle, or not actually pics OF the castle but from the castle area :)









Work has started well, and I am getting to know some of my colleagues. The biggest issue has been the damn bank account! First I thought I got it, then the bank messed up, or they just didn’t bother to send forward the necessary documents, or to call me even after their customer service left three urgent call backs. Why bother… the Irish way you know. Now I think again I have a bank account but can’t be sure until I actually have access to it! Luckily the company was flexible and helpful, and paid my first salary to my Portuguese bank account. I still had money so it was not urgent because of that, but the principle of the bank not doing what they were supposed to do, and therefore caused me not getting paid in time (I was paid only one day later).

Last Thursday I went to a classical concert to St. Mary’s cathedral with a couple of colleagues. They were going, and invited me to go with them. Omg it was beautiful! I am always amazed about what some people can do with instruments. I enjoyed it so much and plan to go to many more concerts while I’m here! By the way, I have almost been hit by a car about 10 times. Totally not my fault, bloody Irish just all drive on the wrong side of the road. Despite of that, I have found Irish people very friendly and helpful, very chatty (those of you who know me are laughing right now) too.

Last weekend, right after work, I took a bus to Dublin and stayed there for two nights just to see the capital of my new country of residence! Dublin Coach drives there about every 30 mins, and the return ticket is 20 € if you buy it online. Or 25? Sorry, too lazy to check. So, my next post, hopefully soon, will be about Dublin. Next weekend, if the weather is ok and it so often here is (sarcasm), I will do a day trip to Tipperary and add those photos to the post of Dublin. Knowing myself, I do not publish the post of Dublin this week :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment