Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Dublin

Only 1,5 weeks from my weekend trip to Dublin and I am already posting about that! I haven't been to Tipperary yet, so this is just about Dublin.

So, as I wrote in my previous post, I took a bus to Dublin, very affordable ticket and the busses are pretty good. I rented a room on Airbnb, stayed with a lovely couple and the room also included breakfast. On Friday I just went for dinner (in a Mediterranean restaurant) and a drink in Temple Bar, and went to sleep early. During the week I get up at 5.50 so partying on Friday really is not an option. On Saturday I took a Hop on hop off bus tour, it took over 2 hours. The weather was not so great but it is what it is! My plan was to visit 3 places in Dublin; Trinity college (I was going there but the line was just too freaking long), Christchurch (too lazy to go in, just took pics from outside) and Temple Bar (at least that I visited). There was a trio playing Irish music at the bar, and it was full of people singing along, it was really a great atmosphere!

All Saturday I was just walking around, Dublin is not that big so you can walk to most places. Had some lovely food, and actually went to sleep early also on Saturday. Had nice chat with the host couple, who also offered me a drink :). On Sunday I just continued walking around a bit before taking the bus back to Limerick. I really did nothing exciting in Dublin, just basic sightseeing and wandering around!

Here's the pics of Dublin. As you can see, the sun did not shine much…













Wait... Could I park here on Tuesdays after 18?









Otherwise everything is fine here! I went to see room in the city centre for long term rent, and I decided to take it. I am moving in the end of September and I am very excited about that. It will be over 5 km to work and that might sometimes be a bit of a problem, but I am prepared for that. Next weekend I will visit Galway, so my next post will be about Galway. I also have 5 days off during xmas and probably going somewhere in Spain then, most likely Valencia or Mallorca.


Last Sunday was the biggest sport day of the year in Ireland; Hurling All-Ireland! That ia the national championship final, and hurling is a big sport here (also rugby). Limerick was in the final, against Galway. Last week before the final this city was going crazy! Flags everywhere, and I really mean EVERYWHERE, and supporting signs etc. The last time Limerick has won 45 years ago. The match was very tight, my landlady called it the heart attack match. I don't know anything about hurling, but I believe Limerick was already ahead, then Galway came really close and in the end Limerick won by one point. I just heard my landlady screaming to tv, that was funny :D. So the city got even crazier and the city center was full of people celebrating. I saw a headline on a local newspaper “the famine is over”, and on Monday at homecoming there was estimated almost 90000 people. Now, considering that the city has population of 94000 that is quite a lot! Well, the larger area has about 194000 people but still 90000 showing up at homecoming is amazing. And I also heard that the hurling players are not getting paid at all, none of them are professional hurlers, they have full time jobs as teachers and engineers and what ever.


That's it for now, tomorrow I have been here a month! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment