Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Bratislava

Here I am, living in Bratislava! I arrived here on Monday night at the 9th, or actually it was already Tuesday since it was after midnight. For the first night I had booked a hotel with airport transfer because of the time. I got my bags super fast, like I just walked to baggage claim and here it was already! Amazing. The driver was waiting for me right outside the airport, so that was perfect. I was in my room by 1 and got ok sleep. The next day I got to the Airbnb I had booked for 5 nights, it was in Karlova Ves, which is a bit outside of the city but the price was good and the apartment was very nice. On Sunday I got to my own apartment :). I rented a small studio in excellent location, but it is still very peaceful here. I have settled in quite nicely now.

I started exploring the city by doing a bus tour and of course walking around and around and around... Here's pics of the city.














Bratislava castle, the tower was built in the 13th century, and the other buildings mostly 200 to 400 years later. I didn't go inside the castle yet, but planning on doing that. As you can see, the sun was shining... the weather for the first week was just amazing, over 25 degrees most days. It felt like the summer has finally arrived :D.










Slavin, the burial ground of the Soviet Army soldiers who fell in April 1945 while taking over the city from the Germans. It was opened in 1960, and the next year it was declared a National Cultural Monument. The cemetery has the graves of 6845 Soviet soldiers, with 6 mass graves and 278 individual graves, and 42 m obelisk with a statue of a Soviet soldier on top of it.






And here is my apartment! I have already started working, or training for work actually and everything is fine here. I have local sim card, and health insurance (mandatory in Slovakia), working on the bank account, and later will register to foreign police.



One of the first things I always do in my new home; fridge magnets


So here my first post about Bratislava! I did a day trip to Vienna, and will post next about that... I have also been writing about that white privilege I have mentioned earlier but I will do these travel posts first and then continue working on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment