Thursday, September 26, 2019

Vienna

On my first weekend I did a day trip to Vienna, and fell in love with the city! I took a boat there on the river Danube, and then a train back. The boat takes about 1,5 hours and costs 20 euros. It is more expensive than the train or bus but it is worth taking once! The weather was nice so I decided to walk to city, it was about 3,5 km.

This is the terminal in Bratislava, that ufo looking thing is a restaurant.


I took a hop on hop off tour, it is a bit pricy with 30 euros, but you can take the bus all day and both blue and red routes. I also did them both and stopped a couple of times. Vienna is just amazing, so many palaces and museums, it is like the whole city is a museum! Lots of culture and history, I will surely visit often.

St Stephen's Cathedral, it is so huge I couldn't get a better photo!



The most visited tourist attraction in Austria, Schönbrunn Palace, dating back to 16th century and it is on UNESCO World Heritage List. That place is HUGE!!! It was the main summer residence of the Habsburgs, and it has 1441 rooms (!!!). I didn't go in because I didn't have enough time, but you could spend a full day there, walking in the enormous garden and see the rooms as well. The garden has a maze too! Maybe someone with any sense of directions could go there :D.











Their winter residence was The Hofburg, today it is the office of the President of Austria and it is located in the city centre. I didn't have time to go there at all, that is for my next visit... I was told that no one actually knows how many rooms that palace has, and it was built in the 13th century.

More pics of around Vienna










How credible is Literaturmuseum, if they have 4 mistakes in their name?




I took the train back to Bratislava, there are trains all the time, every hour, and it costs 10 euros and takes an hour. Very easy and comfortable.


I know this is not about Vienna, but at work the meeting rooms in the same floor are named after cities of one country. On the 7th floor the country is Ireland. So far I've been in Kilkenny, but today I was in Limerick :D. Just had to take a pic...


Otherwise, I have started working, second week going now and everything is fine. The order entry system is definitely more complicated than in Cook, but I will be doing only order management and no customer support. I love how quiet it is there when the phones are not ringing! I have settled in nicely, but of course after just a couple of weeks I still feel like a tourist. I am starting to find my way in downtown, sometimes even without Google Maps, and finding new places every day. Naturally I am planning weekend trips and day trips, so many places to see just a few hours away! I promise, next I will finish the post about white privilege!

No comments:

Post a Comment